Thursday, October 10, 2013

Confessions of an Introvert


I have a confession to make…

I’d rather text you than call you (with email a close second)…unless our relationship is close enough that mauling you in a huge bear hug would be neither awkward, nor icky for either of us. (I’ve been known to do this on occasion.)
With the exception of attending concerts with my sweetheart, I’d rather hang out at home watching movies, reading, or just chilling than head out to a big social event (with the exception of my high school reunions. Even I can manage stepping out once every ten years to see these dear friends, and was super bummed I missed our thirty last year).

On my break at work, one of my favorite things to do is to sit out in my car (Um, yeah... Sounding more hermit-ish by the second). Sometimes I go out for a little 30-minute nap, but often just to unwind from the frenzy of the store. I have to be at my social peak while at work, whether dealing with my customers or employees. Those 30 minutes of solitude relax and renew me on so many levels. It’s kinda like getting a massage to my psyche.

I can speak to groups of 500+ with no problem (and have done it dozens of times without fainting, throwing up, or sounding like a complete and total idiot…I think), but I’d rather skip the small talk which inevitably comes afterward…and unfortunately is unavoidable. Not so fond of the mingling concept, but do it when necessary.
I am married to Mr. Social--the life of the party--and I LOVE this about him. I’m so okay with letting him “represent” for the Torero Family in that realm. He is my other half, and does the extrovert thing very well--one of the bazillion reasons I love him so much.

Although I currently work in a very social situation as a bakery manager (and love and NEED, and thank my Father above every day that I can bring in this much-needed paycheck), my ideal working situation would be to turn this writer gig into a full-time thing. Yup—sitting at my computer…at home…alone (well, as much alone as you can be in this house) making up stories. Jobofmydreams! It’ll happen. Watch me…
 
Yup…I ‘m an introvert…as well as Abraham Lincoln, Emma Watson, Elanor Roosevelt. Christina Aguilera, J.K. Rowling, Michael Jordan, Gwyneth Paltrow, Harrison Ford, Charles Darwin, David Letterman, Bill Gates, Courtney Cox, Albert Einstein, Mahatma Gandhi, Laura Bush, Rosa Parks, Audrey Hepburn, Warren Buffett, Roy Rodgers, Candice Bergen, George Stephanopoulos and one third to one half of the population.

Maybe even you.
 
Tamra Torero is Wife to Paco, Momma to nine, Grandma of two, Bakery Manager, author of Shayla Witherwood: A Half-Faerie Tale and co-author of a Christmas novel,The Lost Son, with her son, Preston Norton. If she had a dime for every time someone said, "I thought you were shy...till I got to know you," she'd throw a huge party with lots of cake and ice cream...and make sure there was really good dancing music so she could dance instead of chit-chat.

No comments:

Post a Comment